Tuesday, October 2, 2012

September

Hey Everyone!

Nick and I decided that we would put Preston in Kindergarten at Public school. He's always been really shy around new people and he refuses to participate in activities with other kids, so we thought this would be a great way to encourage him to make friends and it would teach him about respecting other adults, not just his parents. I was afraid that, being in a class room with 27 other kids, at least a few of them would own dogs, and Preston would come home every day with allergies. 

Kindergarten has been wonderful for him! He is more outgoing. He is more independent. He is making friends. He is happy and so much more loving towards me since we do have time apart each day. And he has not had any allergies at all! None! What a blessing! 

His teacher is great. She's a grandma-type. She is stern, but so kind. Preston really likes her too. 

After taking Preston to register, I could see that Ashleigh was struggling to decide if staying at home for school was what she really wanted to do. I gave her 24 hours to decide. The next morning she told me that she wants to go back to public school too, so back to the school we went to register Ashleigh for 4th grade. 

Ashleigh started on Sept 5, and Preston started on Sept 7. Ashleigh came off the bus that first day and said, "Best day ever!" She has an amazing teacher - exactly the kind of teacher we hoped she would get. It's a perfect fit for her and she is making some friends too!!

I took Preston his first day and both he and I started crying after about 2 minutes. I had to literally pull myself away from his grasp and walk away and not look back! I walked to the library for "Tea & Tissue" where I proceeded to cry for the next 15 min on some innocent strangers' shoulder. I finally got enough courage to leave and cried all the way home. 

I picked him up after school and the first thing he said to me was "Best day ever!" I couldn't believe it, but I was so grateful! He had a good day, no allergies, and made a new friend. 

to be continued....

2 comments:

  1. How great! I'm so glad they're both happy at school & that Preston's first day turned out fine! So hard to say 'bye to those little guys on the first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! Glad to hear things are going well there. Miss those cuties! Love you all. mom

    ReplyDelete