Tuesday, May 7, 2013

March 2013

*lots of sideways pictures...sorry! couldn't fix them . :-( 
 
Hey Y'all! :-) 

March certainly came in like a Lion and roared loudly!  I got sick on the very first day!! Pretty bad again and was down for about a week, then just out of breath constantly and not completely myself for another week or so. It was miserable!!

But, on the 8th was my Birthday! I'm now 33 years old. My kids woke me up like this 

Aren't they cute!?! They sang Happy Birthday to me and snuggled with me for a bit. 
I got Flowers , a card, and a balloon from my co-workers
Later that evening my family sang happy birthday to me and they enjoyed an oreo ice cream cake. 





It was a great birthday and I felt all the love from my wonderful family and friends!

Ashleigh did Jump 4 Heart at her school and raised about $70 for the cause. I helped out at the event with snacks for the kids. It was so much fun!!! 



Preston's friend, Chloee, from his class was also there with her mom. He and she played the entire time in the small gym. They are soooo cute together! Preston gets upset every time I talk about Chloee, so he must like her! ;-) 

We were long overdue for a family vacation so we decided to go to Seattle. The last time we were there, Ashleigh was 3 and I was a little pregnant with Preston. I had spent a few days really planning places to go and things to see and we were all really excited! 

Well, things don't always go as planned, but instead of a smooth fun vacation, we had more of a fun and crazy adventure instead. 

My Corolla -which we've had for about 8 years - broke down about 10 miles south of Olympia. We had to decide at that point if we were going to find a way to get home, or find a way to continue up to Seattle and try to salvage some of our vacation. 
We called a tow truck which took us to Olympia and dropped us and the car off at a Toyota Dealership. 







We decided that the damage to the car was too extensive to try to salvage the car so we emptied the car out, repacked our suitcases to consolidate everything and gave the car to Toyota to keep. (turns out it would have cost us over $7,000 to fix all the things on the car....we made a good choice leaving it behind)







Toyota was awesome and they coordinated with one of their employees to drive us in their shuttle van the rest of the way to Seattle-free of charge. We tried to tip the guy, but he refused to accept it and said, "You and your family have already been through enough, you keep it".  He was such a nice guy, and we couldn't have been more grateful!!! 


After we got checked in to our hotel we decided that we couldn't do 80% of the things on my list with out a car, so we improvised. Thankfully, I booked a hotel only 2 blocks from the Space needle and there is plenty to do around there, so that's where we started. We got on the Monorail and rode it to the end of the line, got off and headed down the last 4+ blocks to Pike's place market. 







But we were 30 min too late. They were all closed up. :-( What a huge disappointment. We walked back to the Monorail and shopped in the mall before getting back on the train to the space needle. 




It's so beautiful at the top of the space needle as the sun is setting. 

I wanted to recreate one of my favorite pictures of Ashleigh and her daddy. I am still looking for the other picture...when I find it, I'll post it. I think we did a good job from memory.










We stopped for some pictures before heading back to the hotel. 

Of course, the best thing about a hotel is the POOL! The kids were so excited to go swimming. Ashleigh was feeling really confident in the water and was trying all sorts of new things and showing off! It was so cute. Preston still doesn't know how to swim, and is scared in the water so he hung on to the side most of the time, or he'd ride on Nick's back. 









Unfortunately, we had a really scary moment. For that split second, no one was watching Preston. Literally a split second. Nick saw Preston bobbing in the water and yanked him out and got him to me on the side of the pool. Poor kid nearly drown!! It was so scary for us all and I held him so tight. He did go back in the water about 15 min later, but he talked about "almost drowning" for the next few weeks! He was pretty traumatized. 

The kids wore themselves out and after showers, they went right to sleep. What a long adventurous day.



The next morning we were all excited to get back out and explore and have as much fun as we could before we needed to catch our train.






(People who did the St. Patrick's Day Run. Loved all the eccentric costumes we saw!)










































(This picture is for you, Dad Call)

After exploring we went back to our hotel, got all our luggage and road in a town car to the Amtrak Station. The guy who drove us was awesome. so funny. Blasted his hip-hop music and was driving his town car like a gangsta! Lol. He was so nice and friendly. 

Got our tickets! Waiting for our train. 

Preston showing the teeth he's lost

Ashleigh showing the teeth that she's lost


Waiting for our train. SO excited!!! 


Here's our train! :-) This was a first for our family and everyone was so excited! I highly recommend travel via train!!! It was awesome!!! 

Our seats - with a table - def necessary with kids, in my opinion!

Nick down the hall 

Me

Ashleigh

The bathroom - super small like an airplane



All settled and ready to go! :-) 



After a bit, Ash and I clumsily made our way up to the food car and spent a crazy amount of money on some snacks! ;-) It was worth it. It's a fun challenge trying to walk on a train and NOT fall on any of the passengers. 

We got this water bottle for Ash at the Space Needle

My snacks

Amtrak Coffee. Delish! 

Nick fell asleep fairly quickly, and soon after, Preston fell asleep too. 



And then Ash fell asleep for a bit. I tried, but couldn't sleep. I was having too much fun gazing at my family and watching the different cities of WA zoom by. 



Nick made arrangements with a friend of his to pick him up from the train station in Vancouver and take him home to get his car. The he came back to pick us up. Ash and I patiently waited, while P had a little fit about being off the train. 

We took this time to take some fun pictures! ;-) 







So grateful that we made it home safely and that God truly provided for us on our trip. We are now a 1-car family, and while it's not ideal, we are making it work and know that something better will come along soon for us.

Some funny faces with my little Pman





Preston's architecture masterpiece! Which he calls "the Tower of the Pigs"


Easter was fun! We went to church on Easter-Eve which was completely uplifting and enjoyable. The Easter bunny came that night and left a trail of jelly beans for the kids from their bedroom door to the stairs. 





The kids were so excited to find their trails in the morning and kept yelling over and over and over to wake us up so they could push their trail and find out what was in their treasure bags. 






My gift for Nick - shot gun shells! :-) 


Coloring eggs. :-) 

Nick got this shirt in Seattle. ;-) It fits him, huh? Lol

FINALLY, Preston learned how to tie shoes!! He's been spoiled with velcro shoes for so long and we decided it was time that he learn. Good Job, Preston! 

My cute little 6 1/2 year old Preston! 



March came in like a Lion, but definitely went out like a Lamb. We've had some family trial and new experiences and we have trusted in God to help us through. We are feeling happier, and stronger, and more secure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment