Wednesday, August 21, 2013

June 2013

Hey Y'all!

June started with some changes at my work. My boss - Tommy - owns 2 restaurants. One in downtown Vancouver, and one on the East side of Vancouver. I work as his CFO at the Eastside location. I really loved my job!!!  But, Tommy's restaurant was basically evicted (disagreement over rental terms between him and the landlord) and the restaurant closed their doors on June 9th. :-( Such a sad day for us all. 

The kids and I went to have some food there about a week before the closing. So cute. 

Tommy and his wife, Muriel, giving the Good-bye speech and toast to all his employees on the last night. I cried. So did they. 

After we were closed, I went around and took some final pictures of the restaurant in the glow of the evening lights. It was so peaceful and beautiful and I knew it would never look the same again. 








The next week was so busy. Many of us came to help pack and clean up this restaurant that had been open for nearly 4 years! It was a lot of hard work and took us a full 5 days to get it all done. In the mean time, I had been lucky enough to be able to go to work for Tommy at his downtown restaurant continuing as his CFO. 




Now, there is a Japanese restaurant in this space. Our old Sushi chef works for them now. I haven't been in to eat there, and probably never will. 

The next weekend we went down to Canby OR to see my cousin and his family and to watch him race Karts! We unfortunately had really bad allergies that day and were only able to see him race once. But the kids had fun together and we really enjoyed the day with them. 



The school year ended in the middle of June. Preston graduated Kindergarten, and Ashleigh successfully completed 4th grade. :) Both kids had a great year at school and both really liked their classes and teacher and friends. 

Ashleigh's shirt with classmates autographs.

Preston throwing pine cones in the road for cars to hit, while waiting for Ash to get home from her last day of school! 


On our way home from the bus one of our neighbors called us over to see all their tadpoles that were in their swimming pool. I was shocked - there were thousands of them in there! We decided to take some home with us and watch them develop in to frogs before letting them go. 

The first week of summer vacation was jam packed. The kids and I first took a long walk down the Salmon Creek trail. There was so much for them to see and explore and they really loved it there. We could have spent the entire day there if I had let them.






Later in the week we took a drive up the Portland hills and stumbled upon The Grotto. We went to the gift shop where Ashleigh bought this necklace.


Then we toured around and saw all the sights there. It's a really beautiful, calm, and peaceful place in the midst of the city. It gave the kids the opportunity to ask me questions about God and Jesus, and Heaven/Hell. It was a really interesting conversation. 


Making wishes




After The Grotto, we drove up to James Woodhill Park @ Rocky Butte.  I call it "the castle".  It's this beautiful grassy area, that really does resemble the top of a castle. It has a 360 view of the entire City of Portland. Thankfully the area hasn't been overrun with bums yet, so I felt pretty safe being up there. There were only a few other families there at the same time as us. I took the opportunity to take some pictures of my kiddos.


























The gums under one of Ashliegh's loose tooth became infected (this tooth had previously had a filling done on it) so she was put on antibiotics and then her dentist recommended removing the tooth to avoid any future infections. Boy oh boy did Ashleigh hurt. She did NOT like having that tooth taken out. When it was infected, the tooth was really loose and I thought it would come out any day, but once the infection went away, it sort of suctioned the tooth back in the socket so they literally had to yank it out. :-( Here's the tooth...see the part that looks like a smile? that's actually a deep groove and was the point of the infection. See how long the roots are? Ya, that's tooth was NOT ready to come out yet. 


Nick bought me a new wedding ring! Pretty, huh? :-)

We took the kids to the playground a few times in June. They love it and always ask to go back. 

It was a cool day, but the sun was so glorious and warm, I had to sit back and bask in its warmth. 


Preston told me he wanted me to go buy Lego Batman game for the Wii for him. I told him I wasn't just going to buy him a game because he wants it. Instead I told him he could do pay jobs around the house and earn the money himself. He got so excited and he did just that. He did chore after chore after chore and earned all the money he needed to buy the game that very same day!! I was so proud of him. He never once complained or whined and he asked me many times questions to make sure he was doing the job correctly. The next day I took him to Target in Portland and he got to buy the game. Proud mama moment for sure!

Nick's sister, Quinn, and her husband Seki came in to town for a visit. We enjoyed having her stay with us for a few days (Seki stayed at his parents house in portland) We picked out a new elliptical to buy, she cooked us dinner, and we all went out to dinner at Tommy's restaurant in downtown Vancouver. We had such a good time together. Unfortunately, Something went wrong when Nick changed the brakes on Quinn's car and it caused a bit of damage, but we were able to help her get it fixed by a "pro". :) Thankfully, they made it back to Utah safely and got the repairs done there. Quinn and Seki just celebrated their 1 year anniversary! Can't believe it's already been a year.




We decided to take the kids and check out VooDoo Doughnuts in Portland. I've never been before either so it was a treat to go for me as well. Frankly - I didn't like the doughnuts at all - but we had fun together and I loved taking pictures of us all there. :-) 







We went back to the Salmon Creek trail the next week and the creek where they had played the week before was almost completely full (the tide went up), but they got to wade in the water and play in the mud. so much fun for them.


Summertime means seeing a LOT of old classic cars on the road - and I absolutely love it! I'm obsessed with classic cars and try to take a picture of each one I see. They are gorgeous. Here are just 2 of my favorite pictures.


Father and son playing video games. so funny...

I found a nickel arcade in portland and took the kids there to play. They wasted about a dollar each on games that would only pop out one or two tickets at a time. But then, Preston found THE game. This game would give about 4-10 tickets each time you put a nickel in. They each had $4 in nickels to spend and by the time we were done they each had around 700 tickets! They traded them in for a lot of little toys and trinkets. It was a lot of fun!
Here Preston is looking under each of the machines to find more nickels. He actually found about a dollar more in nickels just from under the machines!!! Crazy kid. Lol.

June was a great month and a great way to end the school year, and start off the summer. Can't wait to see what July brings! :-)
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment